Messari is the leading provider of crypto market intelligence products that help professionals navigate crypto/Web3 with confidence. We bring transparency and smarter qualitative and quantitative analytics to the industry by combining a global research database with a comprehensive suite of data visualization and asset discovery tools. We help drive smarter participation in crypto from individuals and institutions alike. The name Messari came from the Franciscan monks who declared "clean books" a moral imperative during the renaissance and pushed merchants to use proper accounting methods. This led to the flourishing of investment via "trust but verify" methods and industry growth throughout Europe. That's what we aim to do. Provide participants, investors, builders, platforms, and everyone else with reliable information to better participate in the crypto ecosystem. Our users range from some of the most prominent analysts, investors, and crypto individuals to top organizations including Coinbase, BitGo, Anchorage, 0x, Chainanalysis, Ledger, Compound, MakerDAO, and many more.
Your RoleWe are looking for an experienced backend engineer to expand the scope and reliability of our API product, . As our business grows, the complexity of our API increases as well. Messari maintains a long list of API endpoints, backed by numerous microservices behind the scenes. We want to provide the most premium experience possible for all our API users, from individual hobbyists to large institutions. This is an important role where you will work full-time on our user-facing API service, called Meridian, as it constantly expands in scope. You will write new features and handlers, maintain cleanliness and readability in the related codebase, help with developer-facing documentation, and more. Prior experience maintaining a high-profile public API is highly desirable for this role. The right person for this role should be meticulously detail-oriented, enjoy putting things in order, and comfortable with a high degree of ownership over a critical customer-facing system. Our API layer is mostly written in Go, with some Typescript and Java. For most of our new services, we like Go for its simplicity and maintainability. We deploy using Kubernetes on Amazon Web Services. That being said, we're not dogmatic and always believe in using the best tool for the job.
What you'll do:
- Design and build a robust API product line, from monitoring, SLA uptime, to pricing strategy
- Meticulously build an API testing suite to ensure the quality of the product is enterprise grade
- Help maintain our public API documentation and related internal documentation
- Build and maintain tooling related to user authentication, API keys, rate limiting, and more
- Scale up the throughput of our systems by an order of magnitude
- 2+ years experience with modern backend technologies including Golang, Postgres, and AWS (Java is helpful too)
- Experience maintaining a mission-critical production API (GraphQL is a plus!)
- Interested in information management, communication, and technical writing
- A desire to work on big complex projects with lots of ownership
- A passion for shipping high-quality products
- Empathetic and love to help your teammates grow
- API orchestration! Write new endpoints and handlers, add new features to make queries more efficient and convenient, and elevate proper standards for how to design new endpoints over time
- API pricing! Build a subscription management system to capture and bill metered usage per customer
- User management! Write a new microservice to own and maintain our customer list internally and across our integrations, handle API key generation, authentication, etc.
- Rate limiting and logging! Expand the capabilities of our rate limiting system, help keep better track of our API traffic for observability, and more
- A welcoming and open environment with people who love to collaborate on ideas and tackle complex problems
- Work with a small team of engineers with large impact across product, research, and business development
- Participate in forums like Family Meals and Messari Lab to share ideas or technologies youve been exploring and tinkering with
- Competitive Salary and Employee Stock Options: Everyone in our team contributes to the success of our game-changing products, which is why we share all our wins company-wide. As we continue to succeed, stock options and a competitive salary mean you get to enjoy the upside!
- Health, Dental, & Vision: We care about your well-being so we contribute to the cost of your health benefits. Messari covers 80% of your health, dental, and vision!
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Use pretax dollars for any health care needs.
- Life Insurance: Provided to you at no cost, with coverage up to 1x your Annual Salary.
- Disability Insurance: Offering Long-term and Short-term disability to provide a portion of your income during times you are unable to work!
- Flexible Time Off: Forget accrued PTO days. We believe in the power of personal time, so we offer as much flexible time as you need. Just clear it with your team and bon voyage!
- Paid Parental Leave: We encourage you to take care of your little one! We provide 18 weeks for primary caregiver / 4 weeks for secondary caregiver
- WeWork: All Access Pass.
- 401k: 3% Match when you invest in your future with our 401K.
- Flexible working life and $500 WFH set up allowance: Work-life balance is important. Whether you want to work from home or come to our office in New York the choice is yours. To help you get comfortable working from home well assist with a $500 contribution.
- Community & Social Events: Messari is a community, we work hard, and bring each other up! Fun and regular company events to relax and connect with teammates.
- Learning and Development: We are dedicated to your professional development. We contribute $1,500 annually for you to invest in your continued education.
- Health & Wellness Perks: Work-life balance and your wellbeing are important to us. To contribute to your mental & physical wellbeing we gift you a brand new Whoop and a subscription to Headspace, as well as Health Advocacy as part of our Employee Assistance Plan.
- API Integration