We’re building for a future where the internet and world economy empowers people through interactions based on consent, privacy, and free association. Where both communities and individuals flourish. To accomplish that, we’re working hard to make web3 accessible for everyone.
MetaMask is both a crypto wallet and a gateway to the decentralized web. Our tools help people create communities, play video games, access financial services, make payments, invest in assets, protect against economic turmoil, and more. Our browser extension and mobile platforms meet the needs of millions of users and developers across the world.
Originally a humble key manager, today MetaMask serves over 30 million monthly active users as a decentralized application development platform, an aggregator of decentralized cryptocurrency exchanges, and a decentralized identity manager.
About the engineering team at MetaMask
There are more than 35 engineers working on MetaMask, and that number will double over the next year. The teams these engineers are embedded within both cross functional teams - including those responsible for the browser extension, the mobile app, the Snaps platform, the dapp api, key management functionality, transaction UX and security - and enablement teams such as those responsible for our design system, internal tools and automation, and shared cross-platform data management modules.
The goals of engineering management at MetaMask
MetaMask aims to create a thriving engineering organization that supports the well-being of our engineers while empowering them to do work they are proud of and enjoy. We strive for an environment that gives our people high trust and autonomy, while also facilitating collaboration, communication and camaraderie among teams and teammates. We aspire to build a diverse engineering team, inclusive to people from all backgrounds and demographics. It is also of great importance to us that working at MetaMask is an experience that catalyzes career growth and learning.
About the role
We are looking for someone with empathy, humility and self-awareness to provide leadership and oversight to our engineering management practices and processes. They will be accountable for overall health and growth of our engineering organization. This will be achieved by directly supporting other engineering leaders as a manager, mentor, facilitator, advisor, and advocate, and empowering them to provide such support to engineers they manage. In addition, the Director of Engineering will help guide MetaMask’s teams to improve their engineering processes in areas such as releases and deployments, code review, technical planning, quality assurance and testing. This person will be an enabler of other engineering leaders and will not be a technical/architectural decision-maker.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Initiating and/or cultivating proposals for improvements to our engineering structures, processes and culture
- Facilitating conversations and decisions among our engineering leaders about changes and improvements to our engineering structures, processes and culture
- Driving execution on projects/initiatives aimed at improving our engineering team structures, processes and culture
- Overseeing technical hiring and supporting those responsible for technical recruiting and onboarding
- Collaborating with both HR and Marketing to develop and deliver successful engineering talent attraction and retention strategies
- Advocating for and supporting strategies for growing a diverse and inclusive engineering team
- Being the direct manager for engineering leaders (this includes both individual contributors at the senior/staff level, and engineers who are primarily responsible for managing others). This role will have 8-10 direct reports.
- Mentoring other managers in the practice of people management
- Facilitating decisions among the team’s engineering managers related to workforce planning, hiring priorities, promotions and internal transfers
- Establishing practices and processes to foster learning and growth among engineers
- Advising and soundboarding with engineering leaders about their key challenges, and supporting them by removing blockers, getting them resources and facilitating relationship development with key collaborators
- Work with engineering leaders to identify and implement process changes aimed at improving the quality and velocity of our product releases/delivery
- Collaborate with MetaMask leadership in other functions (product, design, operations, etc) on the structural/organizational changes necessary to properly support a fast growing team
- Helping establish systems for monitoring the health of our engineering organization
The ideal candidate will have experience managing software engineering teams in the following areas:
- Cross-cultural and multi-cultural teams
- Cross-timezone, global distribution
- Remote working
- Agile environment
- Rapidly changing and brand new technologies
- Fast growing teams
And will have experience with:
- Mentoring/advising others in the practices of engineering management
- All stages of the “employee lifecycle” as it pertains to engineers: recruitment, interviewing, onboarding, offboarding
- Building diverse teams
- Release/Delivery Management
- Maintaining open source projects
- Building software for both desktop browsers and mobile devices
Deep experience with blockchain technology is not required, but we are looking for someone who will be excited to help realize our vision and believes in our values
Our mission is to unlock the collaborative power of communities by making Web3 universally easy to use, access, and build on.
Working with ConsenSys puts you at the forefront of an evolving paradigm, transforming our society for the better. We fundamentally believe blockchain is the next generation of technology that can lay the foundation for a more just and equitable society.
Blockchain tech is just over 10 years old. Ethereum itself is still a toddler and we’re far from reaching our full potential. You’ll get to work on the tools, infrastructure, and apps that scale these platforms to billions of users.
You’ll be constantly exposed to new concepts, ideas, and frameworks from your peers, and as you work on different projects — challenging you to stay at the top of your game. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that reaches the edge of our ecosystem. ConsenSys alumni have moved on to become tech entrepreneurs, CEOs, and team leads at tech companies.
Why join ConsenSys? Here are some of the perks of being part of a unique organization like ConsenSys:
One of the most recognized tech companies in the blockchain ecosystem globally. A work experience at ConsenSys is a tremendous reference for your future career. ConsenSys alumni have moved on to become tech entrepreneurs, CEOs, and team leads at tech companies.
The forefront of a revolution. We fundamentally believe blockchain is a next generation of technology that can lay the foundation for a more just and equitable society. You can be a part of building the digital economy of tomorrow and radically transforming our society for the better.
A dynamic startup environment with deep roots. We are one of the earliest blockchain companies and a leader in the space. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that reaches the edge of our ecosystem.
Deep technical challenges. Blockchain technology is just over 10 years old. Ethereum itself is still a toddler. There is much to be done before these platforms can scale to the order of millions or billions of users. We are building the tools, infrastructure and applications l that are pushing the technology forward.
Continuous learning and improvements. You’ll be constantly exposed to new concepts, ideas and frameworks from your peers and as you work on different projects — challenging you to stay at the top of your game.
ConsenSys is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is made available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Software Engineering